Using social media to find a job
Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram…. The list of social networks is growing and the number of users is increasing at an exponential rate.
But do you use the social media channels effectively enough in the quest to seek gainful employment?
Some quick facts first.
- Approximately 73% of companies use social networks to hire through referrals. Due to the minimal cost, employers of all sizes can use online networking for hiring and most use at least 2 sites.
- If we assume that a typical person has 150 friends in their networks, then every 100 employees is connected to 15,000 first-degree friends and 2,250,000 second-degree friends. Quite a talent pool.
- At the start of 2014 there were 1.15billion Facebook users. 70% of all Fortune 500 companies have a Facebook page.
- LinkedIn has over 300 million users. It is one of the primary methods of looking for a job and for companies to search for candidates using networking and referrals.
- LinkedIn has reached a point where it's almost unprofessional not to be on LinkedIn. There are members from all 500 of the Fortune 500 companies.
- LinkedIn members comprise of 130 different industries, and include 130,000 recruiters.
- Twitter has 100 million active users every month. You can connect with anyone and then see what they tweet. Users will also spread your message thereby increasing your coverage.
- Remember, all these have mobile applications, you don’t need a laptop or PC anymore so you have no excuse.
Let’s look at each of the top 3 social media sites and how you can get the best out of them.
- First, make a decision whether to keep Facebook social or expand your use.
- Make use of the privacy settings so a potential employer only sees what you want them to see.
- Make sure your profile photo is of you and in a professional pose. Remember why you are doing this.
- Post content relevant to your job search or career.
- Use Facebook email to build relationships with your Friends but again be careful about your privacy.
- Twitter enables you to follow whomever you want and see what they post.
- You get 160 characters for your profile. Use it wisely.
- Use a professional photo.
- Be careful what you post as everyone can see.
- Follow the relevant people and companies.
- You get 140 characters to say what you want, so think carefully what to say and always give off a professional and knowledgeable stance.
- Again, remember why you are tweeting.
- People will retweet your messages and you can ask them to pass your comments on. This is very powerful.
- Take a few minutes to search LinkedIn and I'm sure you'll find lots of contacts from your current and prior employers, clients, schools etc.
- All those contacts have the potential to help you grow your career or find a new job.
- In addition, it can be a good source of employment references, as well as reference checking.
- Create a strong profile and get a good photo. Include keywords, skills and get recommendations. These carry a lot of weight.
- Build your network but don’t connect with people for the sake of it.
- If you are going to connect, include a message explaining why. You wouldn’t walk up to someone and ask them to be your friend without a reason would you?
- Never ever indiscriminately apply for jobs through Linked In or ask the recruiter / hirer to ‘Look at your profile’. This is very bad practice. Be selective and email your CV and cover letter. If no email address, ask for one.
- You have to drive Linked In. Be active, search for jobs and post relevant updates. E.g. ‘Looking for an ESL job in IT in Saudi Arabia. BA English, CELTA + 10yrs exp’
- Be visible. Join relevant groups, comment on and post discussions and questions.
At m2r Education we use social media on a daily basis, therefore if you want to find out more, please contact us.
ESL Teachers (male & female) - Riyadh
C.£24K tax free+ housing & transportation / allowances + flights, visa, medical insurance
Location: Saudi Arabia
m2r Education, in partnership with ICEAT are looking for male and female ESL teachers for university / government institute roles in Riyadh.
View Vacancy >
English (Secondary) Teacher, Abu Dhabi
Between 9000AED - 11000AED (£1880 - £2300) /mth + accommodation, flights, visa, medical
Location: United Arab Emirates
m2r Education are working with this established school in Abu Dhabi and need teachers for Sept 2017 start.
View Vacancy >
Primary (KS1-3) Teacher, Bahrain
c. £17k TAX FREE per yr + free accommodation + medical insurance, return flight allowance, visa
m2r Education are currently looking for qualified Primary Teachers (KS1-3) for this Primary School in Bahrain. ASAP starts.
View Vacancy >
m2r Education announces official partnership with TVETUK
International education recruitment specialists, m2r Education, has been appointed as official recruitment partner to TVETUK, a …
Read More >
m2r Education bringing Yorkshire to COBIS Annual Conference
m2r Education will be exhibiting at the COBIS 36th Annual Conference to be held between the 6th - 8th May in London. Not only will they be …
Read More >
m2r Education become a BSME Associate Member
We are delighted to announce that we are now a BSME - British Schools Middle East Associate Member and will be attending and exhibiting at the …
Read More >
We are working on huge projects in the Emirates! If you want to know more before applying, read on...